The HCC Fire Academy has served the West Central Florida area since the early 1970s by providing highly skilled firefighters to the City of Tampa, Hillsborough County and other surrounding municipalities. Classes are taught at the HCC Fire and Police Training Center and are scheduled year-round with a new academy beginning shortly after the previous one is completed. Currently we offer both part-time and full-time classes to accommodate our students.
Part-Time Academy Schedule:
Monday and Wednesday evening from 6 p.m. – 11 p.m. and Saturday 8 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Full-Time Academy Schedule:
Monday – Thursday from 7 a.m. – 4 p.m.
• 18 years of age or older
• Be a high school graduate or possess a high school General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
• Submit to a background investigation as prescribed by the State of Florida to determine an applicant's moral character. (Applicant must not have been convicted of, or pled No Contest to, any felony, or have received a Dishonorable Discharge from any branch of the U.S. Armed Forces)
• Pass a medical exam to evidence acceptable physical condition
• Certification as an Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) or Paramedic (EMTP)
•Be a non-user of tobacco or tobacco products for at least 1 year immediately preceding application as evidenced by sworn affidavit of the applicant. (To include "vaping" or use of electronic cigarettes)HCC Requirements:
• Comply with State of Florida Requirements
• Submit a completed HCC Fire Academy application
• Submit copies of transcripts from all academic institutions attended
• Successfully pass a physical abilities test (PAT) consisting of the following:
Completing 30 sit-ups within 1 minute
Completing 25 push-ups within 1 minute
Completing a 1 1/2 mile run within 15 minutes and 54 secondsEquipment Requirements:
As a student in the HCC Fire Academy, you will be required to provide the following items for training:
• Curriculum required textbooks & learning media
• Minimum required uniform issue
• NFPA approved personal protective ensemble consisting of bunker pants and coat, SCBA facepiece, firefighting boots, helmet, gloves, and nomex hood
• 25' of nylon utility rope (1/2" to 5/8' diameter)
Books should be purchased only at the Ybor campus bookstore.