Student Comments on Assistance Received from the Brandon HCC Writing Center
Please note that student comments have not been edited.
- Very informative, thanks for the help.
- Great help on my mechanics.
- She was very helpful and knowledgeable--easy to understand. I am happy I came today.
- She help me so much! She is extremly patient.
- Very good in helping describe a directive process in making a paragraph.
- Thank you. You helped me a lot.
- Great patience.
- Very helpful to understand the assignment.
- It was very help 4 me to come in.
- Great!! :)
- Your help is very appreciate it. Thank you.
- I believe he helped me very much.
- She helped a lot with how to take timed tests.
- I am thankful that there is a writing center. Very hepful!
- I thought I only needed help w/ the body, but ended up needing help w/grammar as well.Good call on the tutor =).
- Thanks for all of your help. I really appreciate it.
- I appreciate having this sort of resource. Thank you.
- She was kind and very helpful to the needs of the student.
- very friendly.
- It was a pleasure coming here.
- She helped me open up and tell the whole story.
- She helped me with transitions and commas.
- I will be back for additional help. This is great.
- So helpful! I didn't have an appt. but she helped me with some great pointers!
- Thank you for the help. Learned more in writing.
- Gave me a better understanding of transition in my writing.
- Good explanation; clear all doubts Excellent job.
- really good person to explain.
- This was very essential for future papers.
- Very helpful--gave me handouts and information I can take along
with me. (He pointed out things I overlooked then allowed me to correct
Testimonials about the Writing Center
Original letters are on file in the Writing Center. Letters have not been edited.
August 5, 2011 from Wenbin Chen
I am a HCC student who is taking English Composition 1101, and English is my weakest subject, so my professor sent me to "Academic Success Center" for tutoring. Jared is my tutor. I have to say he has helped me tremendously. I have learned a lot from him during this short period time. For instance, he told me how to write topic "a smart topic," or "a direct topic." And distinguish "expanses" and "expenses" and other words. Furthermore, he told me how to use MLA format also which I will never forget.
I just want to thank him an "the Academic Success Center," gives the enormous help for students who need it, and gives them the tools to go on the road to success.
Again, thank you very much!
February 17, 2011 from Alexandra Starzhevskiy
It has always been difficult for me to write essays. Moreover, English is my second language, and it does not make writing process easier. When I registered for ENC1102, I knew, this class would be very challenging for me.
My first assignment was to write a poetry essay. I picked a poem I liked, chose a topic I was interested in, and started writing. I decided to analyze the poem line by line. When I finished writing, my essay was almost six pages long. I reread it, and realized I wrote a summary of the poem with a little bit of analysis. I started rewriting it, but, at the end, it did not seem right. There were no transitions between paragraphs. After several days of thinking, writing, and rewriting, I still did not have an essay I wanted to have. I did not know how to organize my thoughts properly. I needed help, and I decided to go to the Brandon Writing Center.
When I came to the Writing Center, Lisa, one of the tutors, read my essay very carefully, made comments, and asked me what my concerns were. I explained to her that I had a lot of thoughts on the topic, but I was not able to organize my essay properly, and it lacked transitions between paragraphs. We talked about topic of my essay, and Lisa explained to me how I could improve organization of my paper by rearranging paragraphs and making logical transitions from one paragraph to another. When I came home, I rewrote it keeping Lisa’s comments in mind. Next day, I came back to the Writing Center with my rewritten paper. This time, we were talking about MLA format and citations, because organization of my essay was perfectly fine.
I got A for that essay, and I got A for the class. I am thankful to Brandon Writing Center tutors, who helped me to improve my writing, and made me more confident in it. It is great that HCC students have an opportunity to consult professionals, and perfect their skills.
January 9, 2011 from Professor K. Niedbalec
Dear Ms Lieberman,
I thank you and your center for all of your hard work last semester. I know I had several students who live in Brandon and who had to take a writing class on the Plant City campus; they used your services as they considered themselves to be your students. Know that they spoke highly of your services and that you never failed to keep me apprised of their activities. Your feedback became an essential part of my understanding which students were actively involved in improving their writing process.
I will forward the statement to all whom it applies. Thank you all once again for the services that you perform.