(HOW TO ENROLL IN THE PROGRAM)
The Educator Preparation Institute (EPI) is designed for working and/or parenting adults who would like to become a teacher and have earned a baccalaureate degree in a discipline other than education.
Prerequisites for admission into the EPI program includes
- Baccalaureate Degree awarded by an accredited institution with a minimum grade point average of 2.5.
- Demonstrated mastery of general knowledge including the ability to read, write, and compute by passing the General Knowledge Test of the Florida Teacher Certification Examination (www.fl.nesinc.com) or the College Level Academic Skills Test (CLAST).
To be eligible for acceptance into the Educator Preparation Institute program, a potential student must interview with the Program Director, Dr. Mary Ann Ratliff. Candidates may schedule an interview appointment by calling (813)253-7983.
For the interview the candidate will
- provide proof of Florida residence (valid Florida Drivers license, voter registration card and/or vehicle registration)
- provide sealed official college transcripts showing completion of a baccalaureate or higher degree from an accredited college or university approved by the Florida Department of Education (FLDOE)
- apply to become and be accepted as a student at Hillsborough Community College
- apply for an official Statement of Eligibility from the State of Florida
- submit to a background check and fingerprinting as required by the District of Hillsborough County Public Schools
Upon satisfying the requirements above the candidate will be given registration materials and class schedule.
Program costs are based on the standard fee per credit hour assessed by Hillsborough Community College. Additional costs will be expended in 1) fees for a Hillsborough County School District background check and fingerprinting; 2) application for DOE statement of eligibility and/or teaching certificate; and 3) application for the General Knowledge Exam, the Professional Education Exam and the Subject Area Exam.
HCC course fees are due at registration. Course fees are NOT refunded to an absentee student unless completed paperwork has been received by the Admissions Office of HCC within the published timeframe (normally three business days after the first day of class).
The EPI office is located on the Brandon Campus of Hillsborough Community College - 10414 E. Columbus Drive, Tampa, Florida 33619 - and is open Monday through Thursday - 8:00 am until 7:00 pm and Friday - 8 am until 4:30 pm. Closures listed on the HCC student calendar are honored by the EPI office.
There is no better time to fulfill your lifelong dream of becoming a teacher. Call (813) 253-7983 today to schedule the prerequisite interview needed for program enrollment.