International Student Admission Requirements (F-1)
High school graduates, ESL (English as a Second Language) students and college/university transfer students planning to attend HCC on an F-1 visa need to apply by the following deadlines:
Transfer F-1 Students
| Fall (August-December)
|| June 15
|| July 15
| Spring (January-May)
|| October 1
|| November 1
| Summer (May-August)
|| March 15
|| April 15
Students entering the United States on an initial F-1 student visa should begin the application process at least three months prior to the start term to allow for visa processing and arrange personal and academic affairs upon arrival.
Submit the following application documents:
1. A completed International Student Application form.
2. $50 Application and Processing Fee (non-refundable): This may be paid by cashier's/bank check, personal check (requires U.S. driver license number, DOB, and full address with phone number), or international money order made payable to “Hillsborough Community College.” The fee may also be paid by international wire transfer at www.peertransfer.com/school/hcc. Unfortunately, we cannot accept other forms of payment at this time.
3. Proof of Financial Support:
- Affidavit of Financial Support (page 5 of the application) completed and signed by your sponsor. The affidavit must be dated within six months of the term you plan to enroll at HCC.
- Financial document/bank letter. This document must be in English, on official institution letterhead and bear the sponsor’s name. It must show at least USD $19,794 for one year of study at HCC (two semesters). It must be issued within six months of the term you plan to enroll.*
Students with a scholarship from the Saudi Arabia Cultural Mission (SACM) must present a “Letter for Admission Purposes” issued to HCC for the term they plan to enroll. Upon conditional admission to HCC, applicants must present an official Financial Guarantee from SACM before an I-20 can be issued.
NOTE: Copies of financial documents are acceptable. However, HCC reserves the option of requiring originals or additional documents if necessary.
4. Transcripts (Academic Records)
To be eligible for admission to an associate degree program at HCC, applicants must submit one of the following:
- Associate or higher degree (or equivalency), or standard high school diploma (or equivalency), or a high school equivalency certificate (GED)
- If you graduated from a high school in the United States, submit final official transcripts in a sealed envelope.
- If you graduated from a high school outside the United States, you must submit a document-by-document evaluation of your transcripts or credentials completed by a certified evaluation agency (NACES) and a certified English translation (if transcripts are not in English) in a sealed envelope. A list of approved transcript evaluation agencies can be found at http://www.naces.org/. The evaluation report must include a copy of your transcripts. Students are responsible for all costs associated with obtaining evaluations and translations.
- Applicants who completed academic coursework at a university or college in the United States must submit official transcripts of ALL institutions attended (in a sealed envelope) along with their application.
- Optional: Applicants who completed academic coursework at a university or college outside of the United States may submit a course-by-course evaluation (and translation, if not in English) from an approved evaluation agency at http://www.naces.org/. Any transfer credits may be used to meet requirements for a degree program at HCC. Provide a copy of your original transcripts if they are not included in the final evaluation report. Students are responsible for all costs associated with obtaining evaluations and translations.
NOTE: Applicants who already earned an associate degree or higher at a U.S. post-secondary institution or its equivalency at a college/university outside the U.S., may submit final transcripts (evaluated, if applicable) in lieu of proof of high school graduation.
5. Proof of English Proficiency:
- To be admitted to HCC, international student applicants from non-English speaking countries must meet our English proficiency requirement, for example, a TOEFL score of at least 61 (IBT) or an IELTS score band of 5.5 or higher. Click here for more information on how you can provide proof of your English proficiency, if English is not your native language.
SAT/ACT scores are NOT required for admission purposes and are not accepted as proof of English proficiency, but they will be used for consideration in determining placement into academic coursework. Request your official score reports to be sent directly to the Center for International Education at HCC. Test scores may not be older than two years.
6. Copy of your passport's photo page.
F-1 students transferring from a U.S. institution must submit additional documentation:
7. Copy of your current Form I-20 (page 1 and 3)
8. Copy of your F-1 visa
10. Transfer Clearance Form, completed by your current school’s International Student Advisor.
After your application is received:
Once your application is complete, your file will be reviewed. Please be careful in completing all appropriate documents, as incomplete or improperly completed items will result in a delay in processing your application. Students who are accepted to HCC will be sent an official Welcome Packet with Acceptance Letter and I-20. New, initial F-1 students will use this I-20 to apply for their F-1 student visa at their local United States Embassy or Consulate. The Welcome Packet will provide you with detailed information regarding next steps on your way to enrollment at HCC.
After admission and before attending orientation submit:
11. Proof of Health Insurance. All international F-1 students must submit proof of health insurance valid for a minimum of one year. Visit http://www.collegiaterisk.com/ for requirements and to enroll in the College preferred plan.
You may submit your application in two ways:
Mail your application to:
Center for International Education
Hillsborough Community College
4001 W. Tampa Bay Blvd., DSSC #322
Tampa, FL 33614, USA
Or Email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: DO NOT email copies of transcripts. Original/official high school and/or post-secondary transcripts from institutions within the U.S., or evaluated foreign high school and/or post-secondary transcripts must be submitted to the CIE in a sealed envelope.