Mandatory F-1 Insurance Requirements
All international students attending Hillsborough Community College on an F-1 visa have a mandatory health insurance requirement. It is each student’s responsibility to maintain valid health insurance at all times while studying at HCC.
Under certain circumstances students may choose to purchase a different health insurance policy if they can show proof of insurance coverage that is equal or greater than the health insurance plan provided through Collegiate Risk Management (CRM). The policy must be approved by HCC as equal or better than the CRM policy before you can register for classes.
To be approved, your own policy must have the followiing minimum health insurance coverage benefits:
- Coverage Period: Coverage must include the full year, including annual breaks, regardless of the student’s terms of enrollment. The policy must provide continuous coverage for the entire period the insured is enrolled as an eligible student. Payment of benefits must be renewable.
- Basic Benefits: Room, board, hospital services, physician fees, surgeon fees, ambulance, outpatient services, and outpatient customary fees must be paid at 80% or more of usual, customary, reasonable charge per accident or illness, after deductible is met, for in-network, and 70% or more of usual, customary, and reasonable charge for out-of-network providers per accident or illness.
- Inpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees with a minimum 30-day cap per benefit period.
- Outpatient Mental Health Care: Must be paid at 80% in-network or 60% out-of-network of the usual and customary fees for a minimum of 30 (preferably 40) sessions per year.
- Maternity Benefits: Must be treated as any other temporary medical condition and paid at no less than 80% of usual and customary fees in-network or 60% out-of-network.
- Inpatient/Outpatient Prescription Medication: Must include coverage of $1,000 or more.
- Repatriation: $10,000 (coverage to return the student’s remains to his/her native country).
- Medical Evacuation: $25,000 (to permit the patient to be transported to his/her home country and to be accompanied by a provider or escort, if directed by the physician in charge).
- Exclusion for Pre-Existing Conditions: First six months of policy period, at most.
- Deductible: Maximum of $50 per occurrence if treatment or services; maximum of $100 per occurrence if treatment or services are rendered at an off-campus ambulatory care or hospital emergency department facility.
- Minimum coverage: $200,000 for covered injuries/illnesses per accident or illness, per policy year.
Student Insurance Waiver Form
For additional information, please call CRM at 1-800-822-3420 or visit www.collegiaterisk.com.