HCC Ybor Campus HCC SouthShore Campus HCC Plant City Campus HCC District Administrative Offices HCC Dale Mabry Campus HCC Brandon Campus

International Student Admission Requirements (F-1)

The Center for International Education (CIE) provides services to all international students attending HCC on an F-1 student visa. Permanent residents and international students in other visa categories should contact the office of admissions, registration, and records at the campus they plan to attend for assistance in enrolling at HCC. The admission procedures specified below are for international students intending to study at HCC on an F-1 student visa.  

Application deadlines:


Applicants Outside the U.S. (Initial)

Applicants in the U.S. (Transfer)

Fall (August-December) Extended to June 30! July 15
Spring (January-May) November 1 December 1
Summer (May-August) March 15 April 15

Are you ready to take the next step?  

All initial and transfer students planning to attend HCC for an upcoming term should submit the following documents by the given deadlines:

1.    A completed International Student Application form.

2.    $50 Application and Processing Fee (non-refundable)

An application without the international student application fee will be considered incomplete. You can pay this fee in several ways.  

3.     Proof of Financial Support:

  • Affidavit of Financial Support (page 5 of the International Student Application) completed and signed by your sponsor. The affidavit must be dated within six months of the term you plan to enroll at HCC.
  • Financial document/bank letter. This document must be in English, on official institution letterhead and bear the sponsor’s name. It must show at least USD $20,481 for one year of study at HCC (two semesters). It must be issued within six months of the term you plan to enroll.* 

Students with a scholarship from the Saudi Arabia Cultural Mission (SACM) and Embassy of Qatar must present a Letter for "Admission Purposes” issued to HCC for the term they plan to enroll. Upon conditional admission to HCC, applicants must present an official Financial Guarantee before a Form I-20 can be issued.

NOTE: Copies of financial documents are acceptable. However, HCC reserves the option of requiring originals or additional documents if necessary.

4.     Transcripts (Academic Records)

To be eligible for admission to an associate degree program at HCC, applicants must submit one of the following: 

  • Associate or higher degree (or equivalency), or standard high school diploma (or equivalency), or a high school equivalency certificate (GED) 

High School

  • If you graduated from a high school in the United States, submit official transcripts showing your graduation date and grades in a sealed envelope. To expedite admission, copies submitted by your high school registrar via email or fax are acceptable.
  • If you graduated from a high school outside the United States, you must submit a document-by-document evaluation and translation (if transcripts are not in English) of your transcripts/credentials to prove equivalency with a U.S. high school diploma. Click here for more details.
  • If you graduated with an International Baccalaureate (IB), final official IB results must be submitted directly from International Baccalaureate to the Center for International Education/Hillsborough Community College.
  • If you completed secondary education in the following countries, your school must submit final, official transcripts and exam results that are equivalent of graduation from high school in the U.S.: The Bahamas, English-speaking Caribbean, Hong Kong and the United Kingdom, Sweden, Denmark and The Netherlands. Digital copies submitted by your school are acceptable.


  • Applicants who completed academic coursework at a university or college in the United States must submit official transcripts of ALL institutions attended (in a sealed envelope) along with their application.
  • OPTIONAL: Applicants who completed academic coursework at a university or college outside of the United States may submit a course-by-course evaluation of their transcripts to determine transfer credit. Transfer credit will count towards the degree requirements at HCC. Click here for more details.
NOTE: Applicants who already earned an associate degree or higher at a U.S. post-secondary institution or its equivalency at a college/university outside the U.S., may submit final transcripts (evaluated, if applicable) in lieu of proof of high school graduation.

5.      Proof of English Proficiency:

To be admitted to HCC, international student applicants from non-English speaking countries must meet our English proficiency requirement, for example, a TOEFL score of at least 61 (IBT), an IELTS score band of 5.5 or higher, or an iTEP Academic score of 4.0 or higher. Click here for more information on how you can provide proof of your English proficiency if English is not your native language.

SAT/ACT scores are NOT required for admission purposes and are not accepted as proof of English proficiency, but they will be used for consideration in determining placement into academic coursework.  Request your official score reports from the College Board to be sent directly to the Center for International Education at HCC. Test scores may not be older than two years.

6.     Copy of your passport's photo page. 

F-1 students transferring from a U.S. institution must submit additional documentation:

7.     Copy of your current Form I-20 (page 1 and 3)

8.     Copy of your F-1 visa

10.  Transfer Clearance Form, completed by your current school’s International Student Advisor. 

After your application is received:

Once your application is complete, your file will be reviewed. Please be careful in submitting all appropriate documents, as incomplete or improperly completed items will result in a delay in processing your application. Students who are accepted to HCC will be sent an official Arrival Guide with Acceptance Letter and I-20. New, initial F-1 students will use this I-20 to apply for their F-1 student visa at their local United States Embassy or Consulate. The Arrival Guide will provide you with detailed information regarding next steps on your way to enrollment at HCC.

After admission and before attending orientation submit:

11.       Proof of Health Insurance. All international F-1 students must submit proof of health insurance before enrolling in courses at HCC. Visit www.insuranceforstudents.com/hcc to enroll in the College preferred plan.  

Application submission:

You may submit your application in two ways:

Mail your application to:                    


Center for International Education
Hillsborough Community College
4001 W. Tampa Bay Blvd., DSSC #322
Tampa, FL 33614, USA 


Or Email your application to cjohnson206@hccfl.edu

Note: Original/official high school and/or post-secondary transcripts from institutions within the U.S., or evaluated foreign high school and/or post-secondary transcripts must be submitted to the CIE in a sealed envelope or emailed directly by your school counselor or registrar.