Private students loans are not guaranteed by the federal government, require a credit check and often a co-signer. Loan terms and conditions vary significantly by lender. Carefully consider your financial needs and then select the loan product that best meets both your individual situation and your financial need.
Private loans should be considered as a last resort. Be sure all other loan options have been exhausted before taking out a private loan for college.
Consider a private student loan if:
- You have reached your Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrowing limit.
- You have expenses that your financial assistance does not cover.
- You are enrolled less than half-time.
- You plan on doing a study-abroad program in a future term and require additional financial assistance.
Applying for a private loan
- You may research private loans with a lender of your choice.
- Your lender will send us a school certification form to complete. We will complete the certification and return it to your lender.
- Depending on your lender, the process can take 3 to 6 weeks from the time you apply.