Refunds are issued when
- The amount of financial aid disbursed is more than the amount of your tuition and fees;
- You register and pay for courses and then before the drop/add deadline, you drop a course(s) reducing the number of credits. If you do not add any course(s), you have paid for more credits than you are taking.
When the system identifies an overpayment, the refund process is automatically started. To comply with federal regulations, refunds are processed within 14 days of when your financial aid is disbursed. If you do not have financial aid, your refund is processed within 14 days. You do not need to request a refund; it is an automatic process.
Refunds are processed every week. Refunds are placed on your Higher One Card, on the debit/credit card you used to pay your tuition and fees, or by check, based on the following:
- If you are due a refund within the first 90 days of your initial registration, the refund will be placed on the credit card you used to pay for the classes.
- After 90 days, the refund is put on your Higher One card except in the two following instances: a) you paid online with a debit/credit card, or b) you made a debit/credit card payment of any amount within the last 90 days. In both instances, the refund will be placed on the last debit/credit card used to make payment. The process is automated so you cannot request the refund to be returned to your Higher One or debit/credit card.
- You can go to the cashier’s office on campus and request your refunds be in the form of a check. If you elect to receive your refund by check, you cannot pick up the check. The only option is for us to mail you the check.
When refunds are ready, they are placed on your Higher One card or debit/credit card on Friday, except on holidays. If you elected to have a check mailed to you, it is mailed on Thursday to the address that we have in HawkNet. It is your responsibility to make sure you keep your address and phone number in HawkNet current. Under no circumstances can you pick up the check; all checks are sent via mail.