HCC Ybor Campus HCC SouthShore Campus HCC Plant City Campus HCC District Administrative Offices HCC Dale Mabry Campus HCC Brandon Campus
Dual Enrollment  Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What is Dual Enrollment?
A: Dual Enrollment is a program where eligible high school students attend HCC classes and earn high school credit and college credit at the same time. The credits that students earn must be applicable toward high school graduation and acceptable toward a college Associate or Baccalaureate degree, or Technical Certificate.

Q: What are the benefits of Dual Enrollment?
  • Saves parents and students money because tuition and lab fees are waived
  • Shortens the time to earn a college degree
  • Offers challenging courses
  • Gives students the opportunity to earn high school credit and college credit at the same time
  • Awards students with college credit that is transferable to any Florida public college or university and most out of state universities
  • Ensures that grades earned become part of the student's permanent high school and college transcripts
  • Provides free college textbooks for public school students
  • Provides access to college resources, facilities, services and highly qualified teaching faculty who meet the criteria of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) Commission on Colleges.
  • Hispanic and African-American students who took dual enrollment courses are enrolling in colleges and universities at higher rates than any other ethnic group.

Q: Who is eligible for the Dual Enrollment program?
  • High school students who have an unweighted cumulitive GPA of 3.0 or better.
  • Must pass the appropriate section(s) of the PERT, or submit adequate SAT/ACT scores (not more than two years old).
  • Permission from the parent/guardian and high school principal and counselor.
  • Must have an understanding that the amount of work necessary to succeed in dual enrollment courses will be greater than in high school courses.

    NOTE: Students participating in dual enrollment must maintain a 3.0 high school GPA and a 2.0 HCC GPA to remain eligible. One attempt per dual enrollment course is allowed. This includes withdrawals.

Q: How much does it cost?
  • Public school students are exempt from the application fee, tuition and laboratory fees.
  • Private high school students are exempt from the application fee, tuition and laboratory fees provided that the private high school is in compliance with FS. 1002.42 and 1003.43 and have an articulation agreement on file with the College.
  • Home school students are exempt if they are registered with Hillsborough County Home Education Office and are in compliance with FS 1002.41.  Individual articulation agreements are now required for home school students.  Please call the Dual Enrollment Office at 253-7121 or 253-7062 for further information.

Q: Who pays for textbooks?
  • Textbooks are purchased by the School District of Hillsborough County on behalf of the dual enrollment students who are currently enrolled in the public high schools. Textbooks are the property of the School District and must be returned.  
  • Private and home school students are responsible for purchasing their own textbooks.

Q: Where and when may dual enrollment courses be taken?
A: The courses may be taken before, during or after school, and during the summer. They may be offered at the high school, or on the college campus. Students are responsible for providing their own transportation to and from the College.

Q: What courses can I take?
A: Most college credit courses are available to dual enrollment students. Remedial or preparatory courses, physical education courses, and courses fewer than 3 credits (unless a co-requisite for another course) are not available to dual enrollment students. Students can take dual enrollment courses at their high school or at one of HCC's campuses. While courses at the high school are limited to certain basic subjects, course offerings at HCC included hundreds of courses available to dual enrollment students. See the Dual Enrollment Course Equivalency List.

Q: How many credit hours may I take per semester?
A: Students may take up to 9 credits per semester. Dual enrollment students must meet with their high school counselors to assure that the courses they plan to take will assist them in meeting their high school graduation requirements and in attaining their post secondary goals. Counselors, students, and parents should consider whether evening classes, weekend classses or other compressed format classes are appropriate for a busy, full-time high school student.

Q: Do I have to take a standardized test?
A: Yes. You must score at college level on the SAT, ACT, or PERT in order to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program. Test scores may not be more than two years old.

Q: What score must I attain on the standardized tests?
A: If you are planning to take a class that requires college reading and writing, the required scores are as follows:
PERT - Reading 106, Writing 103
SAT - Critical Reading/Verbal 440
ACT - Reading 19, Writing 17

If you are planning to take MAC 1105, the required scores are as follows:
PERT - Math 123
SAT - Math 510
ACT - Math 21

If you are planning to take a science class, the required scores are as follows:
PERT - Reading 106, Writing 103, Math 114
SAT - Critical Reading/Verbal 440, Math 440
ACT - Reading 19, Writing, 17, Math 19

Q: Will dual enrollment courses transfer to other colleges and universities?
A: Dual enrollment college credit will transfer to any Florida public college or university offering that course prefix and number and must be treated as though taken at the receiving institution. However, if students do not, upon high school graduation, attend the same college or univerisity where they earned the dual enrollment credit, application of transfer credit to general education, prerequisite, and degree programs may vary at the receiving institution.

Q: When should I submit my application for Dual Enrollment?
A: You must submit an online Application for Admissions and all required documentation to the District Dual Enrollment Office 30 working days prior to the start of the semester of the desired term of enrollment. If not, the risk is that the student may not be able to register for that term.  Please see Important Deadlines.