first time in college students
A student attending college for the first time with no credit toward a degree.
- Apply online. You will receive your Welcome Letter within 7-10 days. All students must prove on the application that they are residents of the State of Florida to be eligible for our in state tuition rate. For more information about residency requirements go to: http://www.flvc.org/flvc/portal/Home_Page/Advising_Manuals/Residency_Guidelines/
- Apply for Financial Aid - Students interested in Financial Aid will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Please see the HCC Student Services calendar for application deadlines. If you are receiving a Bright Futures scholarship, you will need to visit the State of Florida’s Bright Futures website at http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/SSFAD/bf/ to list HCC as the school you will attend. The school code for HCC is 292.
- Submit Transcripts - All students must turn in official High School or GED transcripts to HCC. If you have taken the ACT/SAT within the past two years, you will need to also submit your official scores. You may hand deliver the official transcript and test scores in a sealed envelope to the Admissions Office at any HCC campus or mail them directly to any one of our campus locations. For additional information on submitting transcripts go to: www.hccfl.edu/ssem/transcripts.aspx Students who are admitted without transcripts must ensure that transcripts are received by HCC within 30 days after the term has started. If transcripts are not received, a hold will be placed on your account and you will not be able to register for the following term.
- Meet with an Advisor - If you have taken the ACT/SAT within the past two years, you will need to bring your test scores to the Student Services Department and meet with an Advisor. The advisor will determine if any testing is needed. If you have not taken either of these tests, you will have to take the Computerized Placement Test (CPT).
- Attend New Student Orientation / Registration- After completing the CPT or submitting your ACT/SAT scores, you will be registered for New Student Orientation. The orientation provides students with information regarding HCC policies, services available to students on campus, course selections and other general information that will be beneficial to your success at HCC. You will be able to register for classes after the orientation session.
- Pay for Classes - Check the HCC Student Services Calendar for payment deadlines. After the payment deadline, tuition must be paid on the day that you register for courses. The sooner you apply the more payment options you have available. HCC offers the Tuition Installment Plans (TIPS). For more information, go to www.hccfl.edu/ssem/tips.aspx If you have received an award for financial aid, make sure that you accept your awards via your Hawk Net account.