Automotive Collision Repair and Refinishing Academy
Program Length: 4 semesters
Program Site: Ybor City Campus Workforce Training Center
Class Time: Day Class -- Monday - Friday, 8:00am - 2:30pm
1400 clock hours: 18 months to complete
Get state-of-the-art training to become a qualified technician in the auto body repair industry. Topics include estimating, automotive painting, nonstructural and structural repair, welding and cutting, plastic repair, refinishing, and mechanical and electrical repair. Classes are held during the day from 8:00am until 2:30pm, Monday through Friday. This program can apply toward the AS degree in industrial management.For tuition cost and fees, please see below.
The current Automotive Automotive Collision Repair and Refinishing Academy has already started. Students are not allowed to join a current Academy, but the next Academy will start in fall 2016. The Automotive Collision Repair program runs for 4 semesters / 16 months, and classes meet Monday through Friday. The cost of the program covers tuition, lab fees, materials, tools, tool box, books, and an ASE test. Please see the tuition and fee schedule below for an itemized breakdown of these costs. At the end of the program, all students will sit for one or more of the Automotive Service Excellence certification tests prior to graduation. The following is an approximation of the start and end times of the next Academy.
Auto Collision Fees 2015-2016
HCC Auto Collision & Repair Academy Steps to Admission
- Have a current application on file with HCC. Apply online at www.hccfl.edu.
- Have all official transcripts on file with HCC.
- When you receive your student number in the mail, complete HCC’s online orientation @ http://orientation.hccfl.edu/. You do not have to attend the registration workshop.
- Email Mark Poling at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org to notify him of your session preference, your student number, to find out if you need to take the TABE, and if you have any questions about the program.
- Based on your transcripts, you might have to take the TABE. The program does not require a High School diploma or a GED, but the student will have to be at the 10th grade level (or have an industrial certification) by graduation. Contact Dove Wimbish who offers this test and tutoring for free at email@example.com or (813) 253-7792.
- If you have done all of the above, please call Christine Grasso (813) 253-7633 schedule a mandatory meeting with Mark Polling (5610 E. Columbus Drive, Tampa, FL, 33619).
- During that meeting with Mark Poling you will need to show him how you will pay for your tuition.
- During this meeting you will also need to bring Mark Polling a $75 check or money order made out to HCC to pay for a drug screen and background check, and in return, you will be given referrals for a background check and a drug screen to selected outside agencies (No felony convictions within the past 5 years from the date of applying to the program). The backgrounds check and drug screen must be done within two days after you leave this meeting. The results are sent to Mark Poling by the outside agencies.
- You may ask for a tour of our classrooms and meet our faculty at that time. If our on-site recruiter is not available, please contact him personally to schedule that tour at firstname.lastname@example.org or (813) 253-7589.
- Once we receive word that you have passed your background check, Mark Poling will register you for class. Please do not try to register yourself for these classes. After registering you, he will email you.
We would be delighted to have you visit, tour our classrooms and meet our faculty. Contact Steve Conti at email@example.com or (813) 253-7000, Option 3, extension 7589 for details.
Collision Repair Course Descriptions
Paint and Body Helper
Students will learn to demonstrate vehicle and industry knowledge, business management, shop and occupational safety skills. Prepare vehicles for repair and refinishing. Repair and replace and adjust outer body panels. Prep for substraights and body fillers.
Paint and Body Assistant
Students will perform welding operations, prepare surfaces for refinishing. Mask and protect areas that will not be finished. Select and apply appropriated paints and finishes. Solve problems using critical thinking skills, creativity and innovation. Demonstrate the importance of health, safety and environmental management systems in organizations and their importance to organizational performance and regulatory compliance.
Auto Collision Estimator
Demonstrate vehicle and industry knowledge, business management, and shop and occupational safety skills. Prepare vehicles for repair and refinishing. Use information technology tools. Describer the important of professional ethics and legal responsibilities. Demonstrate personal money-management concepts, procedures and strategies
Frame and Body Repairman
Demonstrate vehicle and industry knowledge, business management and shop and occupational safety skills. Repair, replace and adjust outer body panels. Setup vehicle for measuring and pulling. Inspect, measure and repair unibody vehicles. Inspect and repair frame type vehicle bodies. Describe the roles within teams, work units, departments, organizations, inter-organization systems, and the larger environment. Demonstrate leadership and teamwork skills needed to accomplish team goals and objectives. Explain the importance of employability and entrepreneurship skills.
Demonstrate vehicle and industry knowledge, business management and shop and occupational safety skills. Prepare surfaces for refinishing. Select and apply appropriate paints and finishes. Maintain and operate spray equipment. Repair finish defects, causes and cures. Students will learn computerized paint mixing system. Mask vehicles for refinishing, properly prep and spray panels for blend.
Auto Body Repairer
Prepare vehicles for repair and refinishing. Repair, replace and adjust outer body panels. Perform welding operations. Prepare metal parts and panels for finishing. Prepare and apply body fillers. Perform miscellaneous repairs. Repair fiberglass and plastic components.