Skeletal_muscles are named using these criteria: the direction of the muscle fibers, the relative size of the muscle, the location of the muscle, the number of origins, the location of the origin and insertion, the shape of the muscle and the specific action that the muscle performs.
There are various types of skeletal muscle actions, including prime_movers (agonists), antagonists, synergists, and fixators.
The dissection of the cat muscles will familiarize you with the general organization of mammalian skeletal muscles.
(1) The gastrocnemius muscle is the largest muscle in the lower leg.
(2) The soleus muscle is deep to the gastrocnemius.
(3) The fibularis (peroneus) inserts on the metatarsals and phalanges and flexes the foot.
(4) The tibialis_anterior also flexes the foot.
(5) The vastus_lateralis is deep to the tensor_fascia_latae, and it inserts on the patellar_ligament.