Steps for Enrollment
- Apply to HCC.
- Within 15-20 minutes of submitting your application, you will receive a "welcome" email from HCC with your HCC login and Student ID number.
- Take the ACCUPLACER ESL to determine your placement in the EAP program. The test is administered on campus or remotely. In order to sign up for the test, please request a test referral from the Advising office at any HCC campus or from the EAP Student Manager.
The test is computerized and is comprised of three parts: Reading Skills, Language Use, and WritePlacer. The writing section requires students to type between 300 and 600 words about a topic chosen by the computer. Students are advised to put 2 hours aside to complete the test although they can take longer as the test is untimed. A minimum of 41 points on both the reading and language use sections is required for admission into EAP level 1.
Within 3 to 5 business days, your level information will be available to advisors on all campuses.
Practice Test Information:
Retaking the ACCUPLACER ESL is possible if you would like to increase your scores. However, it is subject to the following rules:
- You may take the test only twice within a year with a one-day wait period between tests.
- A $10 retake fee per section will be charged and must be paid prior to retesting.
- Retakes are not allowed once you begin EAP (English for Academic Purposes) course work.
Note: International students (F-1 visa) have different admission requirements and should visit the Center for International Education for assistance: