Tax Reporting Information for F-1 Visa Students

All students in F visa status (F-1 or F-2 dependent) who were present in the United States during any part of the calendar year 2016 are responsible for filing tax forms with the U.S. government, regardless if they worked in the U.S. during 2016 or not. Taxes are filed annually in the spring for the previous tax year.

The following information should help you better understand what your filing responsibilities are, what forms you need to file, and where to find more information. 

Are you an international student in F visa status who did not earn any U.S.-sourced income in 2016?

Click here for more information and for instructions for filing IRS Form 8843.

Are you an F-1 visa student who earned U.S.-sourced income in 2016?

Click here for more information.

Please be advised that the Center for International Education advisors are not tax specialists and therefore are not able to provide tax advice or help you complete your income tax return.