Funding Sources for Individuals’ and Groups’ International Development

Whether for exchange programs, training, foreign language development, or other area-related studies, grants are available through several government agencies for qualifying teaching professionals and other faculty.  

HCC’s Grant Office also works collaboratively with faculty and staff to pursue funding for individual and institutional projects that will contribute to their respective fields and align with HCC’s strategic initiatives. Contact us to learn more about HCC’s grant development process, or click here.  

Following are leading sources of possible funding:

The Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE) International Education Programs Service 

Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE) 

Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program 

The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Education and Cultural Affairs (ECA), Grants Division 

The Office of Postsecondary Education (OPE) International Education Programs Service performs planning, policy development, and grant administration functions for international education programs. All overseas programs are intended to improve secondary and postsecondary teaching and research concerning other cultures and languages. It also offers The International Education and Foreign Language Studies domestic programs, designed to strengthen the capability and performance of American education in foreign languages and in area and international studies.

Fund for the Improvement of Postsecondary Education (FIPSE), within the Office of Postsecondary Education, U.S. Department of Education, operates to “improve postsecondary educational opportunities” across a broad range of concerns. Through its various grant competitions, FIPSE seeks to support the implementation of innovative educational reform ideas, to evaluate how well they work, and to share the lessons learned with the larger education community.

Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad Program provides grants to support overseas group projects in training, research, and curriculum development in modern foreign languages and area studies. These projects are pursued by groups comprised of teachers, undergraduate and graduate students, and faculty engaged in a common endeavor. Projects may include short-term seminars, curriculum development, group research or study, or advanced intensive language programs that focus on the humanities, social sciences, or languages.

The U.S. Department of State, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA), Grants Division works to provide assistance for the Department’s educational and cultural exchange programs. Assistance can come in the form of grants, cooperative agreement, or other appropriate means.