F-2 Admission Requirements

Effective May 29, 2015, an F-2 dependent (spouse or minor child) of an F-1 student in the United States may study part-time in any certified program at an SEVP-certified school at the postsecondary level, as long as it does not amount to what regulations define as full-time for an F-1 student.   

F-2 dependents can still participate full-time in avocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies. However, an F-2 dependent who wants to enroll full-time in a course of postsecondary academic study must apply for and obtain approval to change nonimmigrant classification to F-1 before beginning their full-time study.  

F-2 Application Requirements

Please submit the following documents by the given admission deadlines to the Center for International Education:

  • Completed International Student Application
  • $50 non-refundable application fee
  • Transcripts/academic records
  • Proof of English proficiency
  • Copy of your passport's bio page, current I-20 and F-2 visa


An F-2 dependent may not engage in any kind of employment under any circumstances.  

Dependent Status

The status of an F-2 dependent depends upon the F-1 student's status. If the F-1 student fails to maintain legal F-1 status, the F-2 spouse or children lose their status as well. F-2 dependents must also maintain a valid passport and Form I-20 at all times.