Federal Direct PLUS loans
Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students
Parents of dependent students who are in need of additional funds to finance their child's education may apply for a Federal Direct Parent Loan (PLUS). The PLUS loan is borrowed through the US Department of Education.
To apply for a Parent PLUS loan, please visit https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action follow these steps:
- Sign In
- Click on Request a Direct PLUS Loan
- Select Parent Plus Loan and complete the application.
* Please visit https://fsaid.ed.gov/npas/index.htm prior to applying so parents can create a Federal Student Aid (FSA) ID in order to sign federal financial aid docs.
*First time borrowers must submit a Master Promissory Note (MPN).
Parent Borrowers of a Direct PLUS Loan:
- Must be the biological or adoptive parent of a dependent undergraduate student or the spouse of the parent whose income and assets were reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), or would be reported if a FAFSA were filed.
- Must not have an adverse credit history or must obtain an endorser. (An endorser is someone who agrees to repay a Direct PLUS Loan if the borrower does not repay the loan.)
And their dependent child:
- Must be a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen.
- Must not be in default on any federal education loans or owe an overpayment on a federal education grant
- Must be enrolled at least half-time at a school that participates in the Direct Loan Program and meet the general eligibility requirements for the Federal Student Aid programs, including filing a FAFSA