Presented by Murv Seymour, Media Consultant
Is My Event Newsworthy?
• What makes my event unique?
• Does my event impact the community?
• Is my event visual?
• Is my event easy to cover?
• What time of day is my event?
• Does my event happen in one location?
• Does my event tie in with a national event - Media loves tie-ins
Who Are You Targeting?
• Community Calendars
• Television Stations – Search station website – ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, Bay News Nine, and WEDU
• Online newspapers offer free listings. Look for the contact us link – tbo.com, tampabaytimes.com, cltampa.com, flsentinel.com, lagacetanewspaper.com
What’s in your Press Release?
• Basic format - Contact info, name, number, email. Date press release is delivered. Effective one sentence Header. Effective second sentence Header
• Use letterhead if available
• Include web address and any social media icons
• One page in length
Should I include a press kit?
What’s in Your Press Kit?
• Press Release
• Studies or supporting data
• Photos or video support (flash drive, download, email)
Other Quick Tips
• Build a relationship with your media contacts
• Check your spelling, punctuation etc.
• Don’t annoy news staff
• Be prepared
Build Your Social Media Presence
• Create FB
• Google Chrome
• Linked In
Make sure all channels are branded alike (murvseymour.com, twitter/murvseymour, youtube.com/murvseymour, etc...)
Keep content on Social Network fresh
Interact with your audience. Build your network.
How to Find MLK Day of Service Website –
• Search Hillsborough Community College Equity & Diversity Office
• Look for MLK Day of Service Link – Everything Listed. (timelines, parent MLK Day of Service site, etc…)