Applying for Scholarships
The HCC Foundation scholarship application cycle is now closed. The review and awarding process will take several weeks. Please log in to your STARS account after May 1 to see the status of your application. Students awarded a scholarship will receive an agreement in the mail in early May.
Students are advised to review the instructions included below or, for additional information and details, to access the Stars Online Student Guide.
When you are ready to apply, Apply Here to access Stars Online.
If you have technical issues with the site, you may email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 847-859-5017 (do not call here with login problems). For questions about eligibility or scholarship requirements, please contact your campus scholarship representative or the Foundation office.
Scholarships are made possible by generous donors. They are awarded via a competitive process to HCC students who have applied, meet certain criteria and been selected by a committee of scholarship application reviewers. Scholarships are typically awarded for one academic year or term (fall and spring or spring only), unless otherwise noted. Recipients must reapply for any subsequent year.
Applying for a scholarship
In order to apply, you must have obtained a Hillsborough Community College student ID. To use the STARS Online application system, you will use your HCC Hawkmail email address (including the @hawkmail.hccfl.edu) as your username and the same password you have established for your HCC Hawknet access. The scholarship application process is quick, easy and free! Visit the login link under "Apply Here", above. This is your permanent account and may be accessed at any time or from any place. Note:
- Make sure you have completed the FAFSA from which the Foundation determines financial need.
- Please start the application process early so that you have enough time to prepare your essay/short answer responses, get letters of recommendation and obtain/attach any other required documents.
- You may save your progress and return as needed to complete your application prior to the deadline.
- HCC transcripts must be attached even if you are in your first semester at HCC and may be unofficial transcripts obtained from Hawknet (copy and paste to a Word document and upload, or insert a screen print). Please attached any HCC or other college/high school transcripts (if needed) in the online application. Paper copies will not be accepted.
- Essays and short answer responses are VERY important and may be typed directly into the application or completed in a word processing software, then copied and pasted into the application (spelling and grammar count!) Please be thorough, honest and forthright without becoming wordy; keep your responses to under 250 words.
- Remember that requests for letters of recommendation will take time to be completed once you request them; and be sure to personally contact the potential recommender to request a recommendation prior to sending the automated email from the software system.
After you have applied
Following the closing date for applications, the scholarship application review and awarding process will take up to 6 weeks. Please note that we have more applicants for scholarships than we have funds to award, so not all students will receive a scholarship. Please be patient through the process! You may check back on the status of your scholarship application(s) by logging in to your STARS Online account.
Frequently Asked Questions
The HCC Foundation awards a variety of scholarships annually funded by private donations. Our donors have set up generous scholarship funds for a variety of disciplines and backgrounds. These scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis, are limited in number and are separate from HCC Institutional scholarships. For information on Institutional scholarships and other financial aid options, visit the Financial Aid website click here.