Applying for Scholarships
The next application cycle will open during the week of February 8 for scholarships that will begin in the fall of 2016. The application deadline is March 27.
Students are advised to review the instructions under "Applying for a Scholarship", below or in the Student Guide.
Then click the following link to begin your application.
Apply Now Here!
(If you experience problems with your application, try using a different browser such as Chrome or Safari)
For questions about eligibility or scholarship requirements, please contact your campus scholarship representative or the Foundation office.
Scholarships are made possible by generous donors. They are awarded via a competitive process to HCC students who have applied, meet certain criteria and been selected by a committee of scholarship application reviewers. Scholarships are typically awarded for one academic year or term (fall and spring or spring only), unless otherwise noted. Recipients must reapply for any subsequent year.
Applying for a scholarship -- Important Information
Scholarships are for HCC students only and will be applied to your HCC student account. In order to apply, you must have obtained a Hillsborough Community College student ID. To use the online application, you will use your HCC username and the same password you have established for your HCC Hawknet access. The scholarship application process is quick, easy and free! Visit the login link under "Apply Now Here!", above. This is your permanent account and may be accessed at any time or from any place. Important notes:
- Make sure you have completed the FAFSA from which the Foundation determines financial need. Without this, you may still apply but your consideration for certain scholarships may be limited.
- Essays and short answer responses are VERY important and may be typed directly into the application or completed in a word processing software, then copied and pasted into the application (spelling and grammar DO count!) Please be thorough, honest and forthright without becoming wordy or repetitive; your responses are limited to 250 words.
- At least one letter of recommendation is now required. Be sure to personally contact a potential recommender to request a recommendation prior to sending the automated email from the scholarship system. Remember that requests for letters of recommendation will take time to be completed once you request them, so allow enough time. Once you have requested at least one recommendation in the system, you may proceed to applying for a scholarships. You may log in to your application to check the status of letters of recommendation, which will appear as "pending" or "completed". If you have a paper recommendation, you may upload it in step 5, but will still be required to submit at least one recommendation request in step 4.
- Attaching your HCC transcript is required for all students in order to complete your application. You can copy and paste to a word document or print and scan it, then upload.
- If you are in your first semester or if you are a transfer student, it is suggested that you also include your high school transcript or transcript from another college.
- Please start the application process early so that you have enough time to prepare your essay/short answer responses, get letters of recommendation and obtain/attach any other required documents.
- You may save your progress and return as needed to complete your application prior to the deadline.
After you have applied
Following the closing date for applications, the scholarship application review and awarding process will take up to 6 weeks. Please note that we have many more applicants for scholarships than we have funds to award, so not all students will receive a scholarship. Please be patient through the process! You may check back on the status of your scholarship application(s) by logging in to your online account. If awarded, you will be required to submit a thank you letter. Click here for thank you letter suggestions.
Frequently Asked Questions
The HCC Foundation awards a variety of scholarships annually funded by private donations. Our donors have set up generous scholarship funds for a variety of disciplines and backgrounds. These scholarships are awarded on a competitive basis, are limited in number and are separate from HCC Institutional scholarships. For information on Institutional scholarships and other financial aid options, visit the Financial Aid website click here.