Dr. Gwendolyn W. Stephenson District Administration Center
HCC Home



The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) can be of assistance if you need to take time off from work because of a serious health condition. The first step is to ask the Benefits Department what Family and Medical Leave Act benefits are provided to you. HCC must provide eligible employees up to 12 weeks of unpaid FMLA leave during any 12-month period.

How it Works:

Under the Family and Medical Leave Act, HCC must grant an eligible employee up to a total of 12 work weeks of unpaid, job protected leave during any 12-month period; for one or more of the following reasons:
    • for the birth and care of the newborn child of the employee
    • for placement with the employee of a son or daughter for adoption or foster care
    • to care for an immediate family member (spouse, child)(under 18 yrs of age, or parent) with a serious health condition
    • to take medical leave when the employee is unable to work because of a serious health condition.
Who's Eligible:

An FMLA eligible employee is an employee who has been employed by HCC for at least 12 months and worked at least 1,250 hours.

Additional Information:
    • FMLA may be taken on an intermittent basis allowing the
    employee to work on a less than full-time schedule.
    • If you are covered by health insurance, your employer must maintain coverage for your regular health benefits (not voluntary benefits) while on FMLA leave.
    • Spouses employed by HCC are jointly entitled to a combined total of 12
    work-weeks of family leave.
    • Upon return from FMLA leave, an employee must be restored to the employee’s original job, or to an equivalent job with equivalent pay, benefits, and other terms and conditions of employment.
    • Medical certification supporting the need for leave due to a serious health condition of the employee or family member is required.
    • Medical certification is also required upon the return to work for the employee’s own serious health condition.
    • Second and third medical opinions (at the employer’s expense) can be requested. By HCC.