Identifying Concerning Behavior 

There are many behaviors that may cause concern for the safety and well-being of an individual or the campus as a whole.  The following are examples of concerning behaviors or situations:

• Unusual or abrupt changes in behaviors or patterns.
• Extreme reaction to a loss or traumatic event.
• Preoccupation with weapons, violent events, or persons who have engaged in violent acts.
• Uncharacteristically poor performance.
• References to harming others or planning a violent or destructive event.
• Evidence of depression, hopelessness, or suicidal thoughts/plans.
• Inappropriate responses such as prolonged irritability, angry outbursts, or intense reactions.
• Strained interpersonal relations, isolating behaviors, or low self-esteem.
• Significant change in life circumstances such as loss of job or relationship.

Assessment and Resources

Mental Health/Life Style Support 
• Non threatening changes in behavior, attendance, mood (depressed, afraid).
• In need of resources to be successful in school (shelter, transportation, child care, etc.)
• Complaints about a poor environment at home or potential abuse.
• Discussions about medication reactions or failing to take medication.
• Non-threatening behavior that raises concern such as blurting out things out of context, odd writings on assignments, should be directed to the Dean of Student Services or Public Safety for assistance on how to handle the situation.
• Individual appears to be under the influence of alcohol or drugs but is not disruptive or unsafe—contact Campus Dean of Students or Public Safety for assistance in how to handle.
 • Student may be referred to SAP (Student Assistance Program)
.• Staff may be referred to the Employee Assistance Program (Employee Assistance Program).

Addressing Disruptive Behavior - Contact Dean of Student Services
• Student consistently comes in late, leaves early.
• Student attitude is disrespectful.
• Student creates a noise or other disturbance during class.
• Student is extremely argumentative.

Disciplinary Intervention - Contact Dean of Student Services
• File a report with Public Safety if there are questions pertaining to an active discipline case.
• Student should be reported if he/she has violated any campus policy and disrupts the learning environment or the professional environment of the campus.
• Never take a chance on your safety, the safety of the person presenting a concern or that of other staff or students.  If you are concerned that the behavior of another may cause harm or be a threat now or down the road, you must report it immediately.

Disability Assistance - Contact Office of Services for Students with Disabilities
• Student mentions having a disability and wants support or assistance.
• Student identifies himself or herself as registered with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities and appears to need support.
• Student mentions having difficulty in class and does not know if he/she has a disability but wants testing.  Testing is not conducted in the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities; referral information is available.
• You are concerned about certain behaviors and you want to determine whether a referral is necessary.