proof of residency for tuition purposes

Documentary Evidence  If an applicant qualifies for a residency exception or qualification, then appropriate documentation must be submitted to evidence entitlement to that exception or qualification. Such evidence is generally specific to the type of residency exception or qualification being claimed by the applicant. If an applicant does not qualify for a residency exception or qualification, he/she will have to submit documentation that he/she (or a parent or legal guardian if a dependent) has been a Florida resident for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of classes for which the student is enrolling. At least two of the following documents must be submitted, with dates that evidence the 12-month qualifying period. At least one of the documents must be from the First Tier. As some evidence is more persuasive than others, more than two may be requested. No single piece of documentation will be considered conclusive.

First Tier (at least one of the two documents submitted must be from this list)
1. A Florida voter’s registration card.
2. A Florida driver’s license.
3. A State of Florida identification card.
4. A Florida vehicle registration.
5. Proof of a permanent home in Florida which is occupied as a primary residence by the individual or by the individual’s parent if the individual is a dependent child.
6. Proof of a homestead exemption in Florida.
7. Transcripts from a Florida high school for multiple years (2 or more years) if the Florida high school diploma or GED was earned within the last 12 months.
8. Proof of permanent full-time employment in Florida for at least 30 hours per week for a consecutive 12-month period.  

Second Tier (may be used in conjunction with one document from First Tier)
1. A declaration of domicile in Florida.
2. A Florida professional or occupational license.
3. Florida incorporation.
4. A document evidencing family ties in Florida.
5. Proof of membership in a Florida-based charitable or professional organization.
6. Any other documentation that supports the student’s request for resident status, including, but not limited to, utility bills and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; a lease agreement and proof of 12 consecutive months of payments; or an official state, federal, or court document evidencing legal ties to Florida.  

Examples of documents that may not be used
Hunting/fishing licenses
Library cards
Shopping club/rental cards
Birth certificate

Other Approved Processes for Documentation
For students in state custody, the Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ) may facilitate residency determinations by providing the college or university with documentation evidencing parental or legal guardian residence in Florida for the qualifying period. The DJJ Address Verification Form is acceptable documentation for residency determinations in conjunction with additional information that demonstrates the parent or legal guardian has maintained legal residence in this state for at least 12 consecutive months prior to the first day of classes of the term for which residency status is sought (for example see Appendix C). Students who have tuition and fees waived or exempted according to the following sections of Florida Statutes shall be classified as Florida residents and shall not be required to submit additional residency documentation for tuition purposes for the duration of the exemption or waiver eligibility period: 1009.25(2)(c) and (d): Custody of Department of Children and Families, in the care of a relative or adopted from the Department of Children and Families,
1009.25(2)(f): Homeless,
961.06(1)(b): Wrongful incarceration,
112.191(3): Dependents or spouses of firefighters killed in the line of duty, and
112.19(3): Dependents or spouses of law enforcement, correctional, or correctional probation officers killed in the line of duty

After eligibility for the waiver or exemption has expired, the student must prove Florida residency for tuition purposes to continue receiving the in-state tuition benefits.

Click here for information on Residency Reclassification