Dual Enrollment & Early Admission

Qualifying high school students may earn college credits through Dual Enrollment and Early Admission.

Dual Enrollment is an exciting program that allows high school students to earn credit toward a postsecondary diploma, certificate, or degree at a Florida public institution and toward a high school diploma. Students who successfully complete dual enrollment courses will save time toward their college degree and save money with free tuition and, if a public school student, free textbooks. Private and homeschooled students are responsible for instructional materials.

Early Admission students are admitted through the early admission option of dual enrollment when they register at HCC as a full-time student during their senior year of high school. Credits for the courses completed satisfactorily at HCC will apply toward both the high school diploma and toward an associate or baccalaureate degree. The application fee is waived and tuition is waived for early admissions students for all courses taken through this program while they are still in high school. Students must begin Early Admission in the first semester of their senior year.

• Students will be in a learning environment that explores a diverse and open range of ideas that requires a mature understanding of multiple perspectives. Students must be able to engage in discussion in a mature and responsible manner.
• Students will be attending classes with non-high school aged students and many encounter students of various ages and backgrounds while on an HCC campus, including students who may hold criminal records.

Where do I start?
Follow the steps for admission.

How do I find out which classes to take?
Students should consult their high school guidance counselor for high school graduation requirements. Students can sit down with an HCC Advisor to discuss degree transfer tracks and Meta-majors. Students may also use the Dual Enrollment Advising Guide. We strongly recommend students follow the Associate in Arts Advising Guides and General Education Courses for transferring to a university. Dual Enrollment students cannot take preparatory or remedial courses, physical educaton courses or courses less than 3 credit hours.

How do I register for classes after I have been approved?
Register in person at the HCC campus Student Services Office. You may not register or make schedule changes through your Hawknet account.

If you need to Add/Drop/Withdraw your courses, you must complete the Student Drop/Add Adjustment form in person at the Student Services Office. Please consult the HCC Academic Calendar for dates.

After I register, what do I do?
Take your Dual Enrollment Fee Waiver to the Bursar/Cashier’s office.
Take your schedule back to your high school counselor to make adjustments to your high school schedule and to discuss book ordering.

How do I get my textbooks?
You can access which textbooks are needed for your course by visiting the campus bookstore or accessing the online bookstore.
Public School: Hillsborough County Public Schools has provided detailed instruction on how to order textbooks. Click here for directions. 
Private School and Home School: Private and home school students are responsible for purchasing required textbooks and materials.
Charter School: Charter school students need to check with their high school on purchasing textbooks.

What happens if I am unsuccessful or withdraw from a course?

  • Withdraw: Students who drop a class after the published drop date will receive a W on their transcript and this will count as an attempt of the course. Withdrawing does not affect the student’s high school or college GPA. Dual Enrollment students are eligible for one attempt per course.
  • Earning a grade below a C: Students who earn a D or an F in a course are considered not passing. The grades will go back on their high school transcript and be permanent on their college record.
  • Students who have earned a W or a non passing grade, can use a one-time Dual Enrollment Petition. The petition is submitted to the Dual Enrollment office for review and the student will receive an email whether the petition is approved or denied (this can take up to 6 weeks.)

Dual Enrollment staff can assist you if you have additional questions:
813-253-7121, 813-253-7062 or dualenrollment@hccfl.edu