At HCC, we are dedicated to providing prompt and fair resolution of all student concerns. The information below details official HCC procedures for submitting complaints and the timeframe for resolution.
What is a complaint?
A complaint can involve an interaction with or treatment by a college employee or dissatisfaction with a college facility or service. There are two types of complaints:
1. Academic: Classroom, library or learning support issues
2. Non-academic: Student services (financial aid, advising or other departments), auxiliary services (bookstores, food services), or HCC services (buildings, parking lots, etc.) issues
How is a complaint different from an appeal?
This webpage is not intended to address student grievance and appeal issues. Students interested in submitting an Academic Grade Appeal should visit the college’s Academic Appeal page per HCC procedures or contact their campus Student Services Dean. HCC also has separate procedures for sexual harassment and discrimination claims.
Steps to file a complaint
1. Pursue direct conflict resolution whenever possible by communicating with the HCC employee responsible for the service or area of complaint.
Please note: If you want assistance or need an advocate, the Ombudsman is here to help. The Ombudsman assists students in resolving problems in order to support retention and foster respect across the college community while maintaining a neutral and confidential role.
3. Students who are unable to submit an electronic form may request that a college employee submit the form on their behalf.
4. Provide as much information as you can when submitting a complaint.
What happens next?
1. Once you submit the complaint form, you will receive a confirmation email verifying that it was received.
2. HCC will provide to you in writing the findings of your complaint within three business days.
3. The department designee will contact you if it will take more than three business days to respond to your complaint.
4. Once HCC has received your response in writing, the complaint submitted will be considered addressed and closed.
State Student Complaint Process
Federal regulations and state laws require that public colleges in The Florida College System have processes for students, employees and applicants to file complaints against any respective college. In almost every situation, the college’s process for resolving complaints must be followed first. Before contacting the State Division of Florida Colleges, please read HCC’s policies and procedures for filing complaints. File a complaint with the Florida Department of Education.
Out-of-State Distance Education Students
Distance education students who live outside of Florida and have completed the internal institutional grievance process and the applicable state grievance process may appeal non-instructional complaints to the FL-SARA PRDEC Council. For additional information on the complaint process, please visit the FL-SARA Complaint Process page.