|Title: EMPLOYEE CATEGORIES||Identification: 3.01
Effective Date: July 1, 2007
Signature/Approval: Dr. Gwendolyn W. Stephenson
This procedure establishes the development and maintenance of employment position categories and the alignment with a pay grade in the Salary Schedule.
1. POSITIONS HELD BY EMPLOYEES AS PRIMARY ASSIGNMENTS - Each position will be categorized as administrator, faculty, exempt (professional/managerial) or non-exempt (classified). When positions are approved, Human Resources will assign a position number with the first character signifying the category, "A", "F", "E", or "N''.
A. ADMINISTRATORS - New administrator positions will be assigned grades 1 through 7. Typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Supervising and evaluating other employees;
- Recommending the employment/termination of other employees;
- Managing College fiscal resources and facilities; and
- Participating in the planning, development and utilization of College personnel, resources and facilities.
B. FACULTY MEMBERS - New faculty positions will be assigned grade III.
Incumbents of faculty positions will be assigned a grade commensurate with their credentials. Typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Library and library-related areas; and
C. EXEMPT (PROFESSIONAL/MANAGERIAL) - New exempt positions may be assigned grades E through I. Typical duties and responsibilities include:
- Performing duties that require specialized knowledge and training that is generally acquired from either educational courses at the university/ college level or job-related experience;
- Utilizing discretion and independent judgment in the performance of job duties;
- Advising, analyzing, consulting, designing, and researching in a specialized area; and
- Performing duties in areas of either academic support, student support or institutional support.
- Performing duties that involve the design or application of computers and related systems.
D. NON-EXEMPT (CLASSIFIED) - New non-exempt positions may be assigned grades H through L. Typical duties and responsibilities include performing assignments that involve either:
- Routine manual, mental or physical processes; or
- Standardized duties.
2. POSITIONS HELD BY EMPLOYEES AS PART-TIME ASSIGNMENTS.
A. NON-FACULTY STAFF - These positions will be designated as non-exempt and assigned grades 1 through 5 with "Z" as the first character in the position number.
B. ADDITIONAL - To facilitate the management of certain additional part-time duties performed by employees, positions may be created in these categories and are not associated with a particular grade.
- Overload - Designated with a "L" position number.
- Program Manager - Designated with a "K" position number.
- Inactive - Designated with an "I" position number.
Replaces Procedure 2.001, Employment Category, dated August 8, 1994.