|Title: SEPARATION PAY||Identification: 3.13
Effective Date: July 1, 2007
FS 1001.64; 1001.65; 1012.865
HCC Rule 6HX-10-3.05
|Signature/Approval: Dr. Gwendolyn W. Stephenson|
This procedure establishes guidelines for the payment of accrued leave at the time of separation from employment at HCC.
When an employee leaves the College, the College will compensate full-time employees for frozen accrued sick leave, accrued compensatory time earned prior to March 31st, and accrued vacation leave.
- ACCRUED SICK LEAVE - At the time of separation, Human Resources will notify the employee of the opportunity to elect one of the following options:
- The employee may sign a waiver of compensation which will maintain the accrued sick leave days at the College for reinstatement in the event the employee is re-employed.
- The employee may elect to be compensated for frozen accrued sick leave earned at the College and sick leave transferred in to the College in accordance with the Florida Statutes as follows:
- For staff (non-faculty) hired prior to 6/30/97, the maximum is the amount of sick leave accrued up through 6/30/97 at the employee's daily rate of pay on that date. Sick leave accrued after that date will not be paid off.
- For faculty members hired prior to 8/30/98, the maximum is the amount of sick leave accrued up through 8/30/98 at the employee's daily rate of pay on that date. Sick leave accrued after that date will not be paid off.
- An employee may be compensated for accrued sick leave earned at or transferred to the College up to one (1) year following an employee's last day of work at the College. An employee who elects to receive separation pay for accrued sick leave will forfeit any unused sick leave credits. However, if an employee separates his/her employment without receiving separation pay for accrued sick leave, the sick leave credit will be reinstated if the employee is rehired by the College within one year.
- Those employees eligible for sick leave pay off under 1B above must submit a Request for Leave Pay-Off form to the Payroll Office prior to final payment. In order to receive payment with full credit for all years of creditable service in the FRS, there must also be written documentation from the Florida Retirement System confirming the total number of years credit. The employee must also submit a written request to the Florida Retirement System, requesting such confirmation. This form will be filed in the employee's official Personnel record.
- ACCRUED COMPENSATORY TIME - The College will compensate an employee for accrued compensatory time earned prior to March 31st upon his/her separation. Accrued compensatory time will be awarded at the rate of pay effective at separation. (Refer to administrative procedure 3.04, Work Schedules and Overtime/Compensatory Time for Professional/Managerial and Classified Personnel.)
- ACCRUED VACATION LEAVE - For an employee with accrued vacation leave, the College will compensate an employee for accrued vacation leave up to thirty (30) days.
- CALCULATION OF SEPARATION PAY - For the purpose of calculating separation pay, the daily rate for all administrators, professional managerial and classified employees will be determined by dividing the annual rate of pay by 215 days. For the purpose of calculating separation pay, the daily rate for all faculty will be determined by dividing the annual rate of pay by 158 days.
Replaces Procedure 2.051, Terminal Pay, dated October 5, 1994.