|Title: STUDENT ATTENDANCE||Identification: 4.19
Effective Date: March 19, 2004
FS 1001.64; 1.001.65
Signature/Approval: Dr. Ken Atwater
This procedure establishes guidelines for maintaining student attendance records at Hillsborough Community College. The U.S. Department of Education, Veterans Administration and Bureau of Citizens and Immigration Services require the College to monitor the enrollment status of specific students.
The following procedural guidelines apply to student attendance:
- In accordance with College policy, an instructor will establish an attendance policy for each assigned class. When attendance is considered a factor in determining the final grade, the instructor’s attendance policy will accurately reflect the extent to which attendance will affect the final grade.
- The instructor must communicate the attendance policy at the first class meeting.
- The written attendance policy will be included in the class syllabus which must be distributed to students and filed with the instructor's academic dean by the end of the second week of the term.
- The instructor must keep a written record of the attendance of all students in order to comply with federal reporting requirements. The method of obtaining the attendance record is at the discretion of the faculty member (i.e., sign-in sheets, roll call, computerized lists or notations, etc.).
- The faculty member should allow for emergency or extenuating situations, i.e. religious observances, in their attendance policy.
- An Attendance Record Book will be available to all faculty members upon request.
- For students who register late, the attendance policy will commence on the next class session immediately following the student's registration date.
Adopted: 1/23/87; Revised: 2/15/90; 4/9/92/ 6/7/94; Formerly 3.410