F-2 International Students

An F-2 dependent (spouse or minor child) of an F-1 student in the United States may study part-time in any certified program at an SEVP-certified school at the postsecondary level, as long as it does not amount to what regulations define as full-time for an F-1 student.

F-2 dependents can still participate full-time in avocational or recreational studies, such as hobbies. However, an F-2 dependent who wants to enroll full-time in a course of postsecondary academic study must apply for and obtain approval to change nonimmigrant classification to F-1 before beginning their full-time study (12 credit hours or more).