|Title: GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS||Identification: 4.17
Effective Date: 08/05/13
|Authority: SBE 6A-14.0261, FAC FS 1001.64; 1001.65||Signature/Approval: Dr. Ken Atwater|
This procedure establishes the requirements for awarding an Associate in Arts (AA) degree, an Associate in Science (AS) degree, a College Credit Certificate (CCC), a Post-Secondary Adult Vocational Certificate (PSAV), or an Honorary Degree awarded posthumously.
- CATALOG REQUIREMENT
An academic year is defined as Fall, Spring, and Summer. Continuous enrollment is maintained by being enrolled after the drop/add period for at least one term each academic year. The student is expected to meet the graduation requirements in effect during the period of continuous enrollment to fulfill the degree requirements on the Application for Degree.
- Former Students Returning - If enrollment is interrupted by not attending one term each academic year, the student will be considered to be a Former Student Returning, and will be expected to meet the graduation requirements of one of the catalogs in effect during the time that he/she maintains continuous enrollment after returning to the College.
- Transfer Students – these students fulfill the degree requirements under a catalog in effect during the period of continuous enrollment. Continuous enrollment is maintained by being enrolled after the drop/add period for at least one term each academic year. Courses meeting general education requirements at the transferring institution will be accepted as general education requirements at HCC provided the courses satisfy the following areas: humanities/fine arts; social/behavioral sciences; and natural science/mathematics.
- Only one catalog can be selected for graduation, and not a combination of catalogs.
- If the College no longer offers a course(s) for the catalog year selected, for students receiving the AS Degree, CCC or PSAV certificates, the course substitutions must be obtained from the appropriate academic dean and director. Other course substitutions are processed using the HCC Course Substitution Request Form.
- RESIDENCE REQUIREMENT
- At least 25% of the credit hours applicable to the degree o r c e r t i f i c a t e requirements must be earned in residence at HCC.
- Credit awarded in advanced placement, CLEP, Credit-By-Examination, Certified Professional Secretary, Experiential Credit, articulated credit or similar national examinations will NOT fulfill the 25% credit hours in residence requirement.
- Since college preparatory courses are not applicable to a degree, credits earned in these courses are not applicable to the 25% credit hours residency requirement.
- GRADE POINT REQUIREMENT
- AA Degree Grade Point Average (GPA)
- All grades (A through F) applicable (parallel and dual) to the AA Degree will be averaged to determine the AA Degree cumulative totals including grades earned at other accredited colleges.
- College preparatory and occupational-technical courses will not be included in the AA Degree GPA.
- A student must have a minimum 2.0 AA Degree grade point average, including a 2.0 HCC GPA in all courses leading to an AA, to graduate from HCC.
- To graduate with Honors, a student must have achieved a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or above the cumulative HCC GPA.
- AS and CCC Degree GPA
- A student must have a minimum 2.0 AS degree cumulative GPA, including a 2.0 HCC GPA in courses leading to an AS, to graduate from HCC.
- To graduate with Honors, a student must have achieved a GPA of 3.5 or above for the HCC grade point average.
- AA Degree Grade Point Average (GPA)
- HOURS REQUIREMENT
- A minimum of 60 semester credits must be earned in courses that apply to the respective degree program.
- The AA degree must consist of a minimum of 36 semester credits of general education and 24 semester credits of electives.
- The AS degree must consist of a minimum of 15 to 18 semester credits of transferable general education and the required number of semester credits for the program depending upon catalog year chosen for graduation.
- GORDON RULE (SBE Rule 6A-10.030 FAC)
The Gordon Rule applies only to students receiving an AA degree. Students must fulfill the Gordon Rule requirements as published in the catalog for the catalog year chosen for graduation.
- MULTIPLE DEGREES
- A student will be awarded only one AA Degree.
- A student who has one AS or AA Degree may qualify for a second AS Degree if he or she completes a second curriculum, takes a minimum of 15 hours at HCC beyond the first degree, and meets all degree requirements.
- GENERAL EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS FOR A.A. and A.S. DEGREE
See appropriate catalog for listing of courses.
- HONORARY DEGREES AWARDED POSTHUMOUSLY
A currently enrolled student who dies may be awarded an honorary associates degree if he/she has completed at least 45 hours towards the degree and has met the minimum residency requirement. Similarly, a currently enrolled student who dies may be awarded an honorary college credit certificate or post-secondary adult vocational certificate if he/she has completed at least 75% of the required credit or clock hours and has met the minimum residency requirement.