What is Biotechnology Laboratory Technology?
The fascinating science of biotechnology utilizes living organisms and biological systems to make or modify products for a specific use through:
- DNA manipulation and analysis.
- Expression and purification of proteins.
- Cell and tissue culture techniques.
- Enzyme and antibody assays.
- Research design and laboratory safety.
- Computer analyses of DNA & protein sequences (bioinformatics).
If you have an interest in the sciences and a desire to position yourself at the cutting edge of emerging industries, HCC’s biotechnology laboratory technology program can prepare you for a rewarding hands-on career in biotechnology research, cell and tissue culture or biotechnology manufacturing.
The two-year program provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to perform in a high-tech laboratory environment. The program offers flexibility for students to focus in the fields of engineering, environmental sciences, math and science, information technology or the health sciences.
After conducting coursework and research, students have the option of participating in a biotechnology internship with local industry partners. We also instill in each student an awareness of basic biomedical and bioethical practices and standards in current academia, research, and industry.
Life Sciences/Biological Concentration
- Clinical Research
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Biotechnology firms
- Forensic investigation
- Environmental improvement & protection
- Bio-manufacturing firms
- Medical manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Process industry (food and pharmacy)
- Water Treatment