What is Biotechnology Laboratory Technology?
The fascinating science of biotechnology utilizes living organisms and biological systems to make or modify products for a specific use through:
- DNA manipulation and analysis.
- Expression and purification of proteins.
- Cell and tissue culture techniques.
- Enzyme and antibody assays.
- Research design and laboratory safety.
- Computer analyses of DNA & protein sequences (bioinformatics).
If you have an interest in the sciences and a desire to position yourself at the cutting edge of emerging industries, HCC’s biotechnology laboratory technology program can prepare you for a rewarding hands-on career in biotechnology research, cell and tissue culture or biotechnology manufacturing.
The two-year program provides students with the knowledge and skills needed to perform in a high-tech laboratory environment. The program offers flexibility for students to focus in either the fields of engineering/manufacturing or biological/life sciences.
After conducting coursework and research, students have the option of participating in a biotechnology internship with local industry partners. We also instill in each student an awareness of basic biomedical and bioethical practices and standards in current academia, research, and industry.
Life Sciences/Biological Concentration
- Clinical Research
- Pharmaceutical companies
- Biotechnology firms
- Forensic investigation
- Environmental improvement & protection
- Bio-manufacturing firms
- Medical manufacturing
- Pharmaceutical manufacturing
- Process industry (food and pharmacy)
- Water Treatment
Brandon Campus, BSCI 207A