ARE YOU PREPARED IN THE EVENT OF AN ACTIVE SHOOTER?
An Active Shooter is an individual actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a confined and populated area; in most cases, active shooters use firearms(s) and there is no pattern or method to their selection of victims. Active shooter situations are unpredictable and evolve quickly. Would you know what to do in the event of an active shooter on campus? Read these safety tips so that you will be prepared. You can also watch this FBI RUN. HIDE. FIGHT. Surviving an Active Shooter Event on YouTube. This video depicts content that some viewers may find graphic and disturbing. Viewer discretion is advised.
- RUN: Evacuate If Possible
- HIDE: Hide silently in as safe a place as possible
- FIGHT: Take action to disrupt or incapacitate the shooter
Immediately after an incident:
- Wait for Local Law Enforcement officers to assist you out of the building, if inside.
- When law enforcement arrives, students and employees must display empty hands with open palms.